Multidimensional Task Ability Profile (MTAP)
We are please to announce the recognition and induction of the MTAP into the Official Disability Guidelines (ODG)! Please see below for more information.
The MTAP is the paper and pencil version of the computerized Multidimensional Task Ability Profile, a 50-item questionnaire that quantifies perceived capacity to perform work tasks. In treatment programs, the patient’s progress can be documented easily.
The MTAP provides a baseline measure of function in everyday tasks to compare to progress in subsequent treatment, extending the benefits beyond the clinic’s walls, into the patient’s life at home, at work, and in the community. The MTAP assesses a wide range of activities of daily living, from self care, cooking and light housekeeping, to heavy home maintenance tasks. In comparison with functional tests, magnification of dysfunction can be identified. The MTAP matches abilities to the demands of work defined by the US Department of Labor Physical Demand Characteristics (PDC) of work system.
When administered as part of a treatment program, changes in functional status can be identified and measured, and the effect of treatment confirmed.
- 2 test booklets with 50 drawings accompanied by a simple task description.
- 1 examiner’s manual with instructions, reliability studies, and normative data.
- 100 response sheets with Department of Labor PDC and MTAP normative data crosswalk.
Features and Benefits:
- Focuses on physical function to determine problematic activities of daily living and work capacity.
- Practical outcome tool for use in small clinical settings.
- Very reliable, with several peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Closely correlated with physical function assessed by the Epic Lift Capacity (ELC) test.
- Meets the recommendations for documentation of objective functional outcome measures for Medicare, the Official Disability Guidelines, American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and the American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 5th and 6th editions.
- Illustrated items and short text descriptions allow for rapid cognitive processing with less ambiguity, to accommodate patients with low literacy levels, and assists in cross-cultural adaptation.
- Enhances communication with providers in patient-centered programs.
- Helps to identify problematic ADLs.
- Good educational tool with an emphasis of physical function to help de-emphasize a focus on pain in work hardening and work conditioning programs.
- Assists with justification of medical necessity for treatment / rehab by providing a quantified baseline, progress, or plateau of physical function.
New Article published in Journal Sphera
Official Disability Guidelines (ODG):
Recommend acceptance by a payer as an option, when they require documentation of objective functional outcomes. According to ODG, restoration of function should be the primary measure of treatment success, and there are are variety of options. The MTAP is a patient-reported outcome measure of physical function that uses a combination of text and pictorial illustrations. The MTAP in its current form of 50 items is reliable when administered to individuals with musculoskeletal disorders in either English or Spanish. (Verna, 2013) The technology of self-report measures was used to develop MTAP for use with patients with musculoskeletal impairments that may lead to work disability. The MTAP displayed good concurrent validity compared with actual physical performance as assessed by the EPIC Lift Capacity test. Modern performance-integrated self-report measures, such as the MTAP, have the potential to provide information about functional capacity that is sufficiently useful to confirm status and help guide treatment algorithms. (Mooney, 2010) Results demonstrate that the MTAP has good concurrent validity. (Mayer, 2005)
Shipping costs are computed and added when your order is processed. (A handling/shipping cost of "0.00" in your cart denotes uncertainty of actual costs.) We are happy to provide a quote before you order and will make every effort to save you money. Contact us!